- What is SSL?
- Benefits of SSL Encryption for WordPress Website:
- How to Setup Cloud Flare Flexible SSL for WordPress?
- Setting up WordPress for Cloud Flare Flexible SSL Certificate:
- WordPress HTTPS Plugin Installation and Configuration Settings:
- Changing Your WordPress Site URL from HTTP to HTTPS:
- Endpoints of SSL Certificates:
If you want to increase the chances of Google ranking, then you must use HTTPS. As Google has announced that it will be counting HTTPS as a ranking factor now. Now it has become necessary for WordPress bloggers to secure their sites using SSL Encryption. Cloud flare offers flexible & free SSL Certificate for small websites which are easy to implement. If you need premium SSL certificates in discount prices from trusted certificate authorities than go through our list of cheap wildcard SSL certificate providers which saves your money and improve sire security.
HTTPS, on the other hand, helps in encrypting all transmitted data and thus protect it from getting hacked by any external host or network.
What is SSL?
SSL is a “cryptographic protocol” which protects and secures data being transferred through a computer network; this transfer of information occurs between a website or online application and a visitor. If your website transmits and collects credit card information, you’re actually required by law to have an SSL connection in place; even if you don’t collect sensitive information through your website, it’s generally a best practice to have SSL in place.
Benefits of SSL Encryption for WordPress Website:
1) Visitor Trust
Having the green lock in your visitor’s web browser provides a sense of trust and integrity.
2) Password Protection:
If visitors are logging into your website or application over a public Wi-Fi network and using the same credentials to log into your website as they use, for example, online finances, you could be putting them at risk. Having an unencrypted connection between a visitor and website is one of the easiest ways for sensitive data to be captured.
3) SEO Rankings:
Google announced that secure websites using SSL/TLS will have a slight edge in SEO ranking over websites that don’t provide visitors with a secure connection, and indicated that advantage will increase over time.
4) PCI Compliance:
One component of current PCI compliance standards is the requirement to encrypt cardholder data across open, public networks. This level of encryption can be achieved by enabling SSL on your website.You may want to consider some pci secure development training for your staff to ensure the best security possible.
How to Setup Cloud Flare Flexible SSL for WordPress?
Cloud Flare is an American based company which provides a content delivery network (CDN), Internet security services and distributed domain name server services.
Setting Up Free Cloud Flare Flexible SSL:
- Sign up to Cloud flare
- Select the free plan.
- Follow the step for adding your domain name.
- When you have registered and set up your domain name, click on your domain.
- At the top, there will be a row of icons click on Crypto.
- The first option will be SSL, select flexible SSL.
Cloud flare will tell your Flexible SSL is active by displaying a green active box below.
Setting up WordPress for Cloud Flare Flexible SSL Certificate:
For activating HTTPS on your WordPress site, Cloud Flare requires the installation of two plugins. Without installing these plugins, the Cloud Flare flexible SSL Certificate won’t work on your WordPress site.
This plugin is crucial for enabling Cloud Flare flexible SSL Certificate on your WordPress site. It helps in fixing the infinite redirect loops when loading WordPress websites under Cloud Flare’s Flexible SSL system.
This plugin doesn’t require any settings. Just install and activate it from your WordPress dashboard.
WordPress HTTPS (SSL) Plugin is the best SSL plugin for WordPress. Not only Cloud flare, but any SSL certificate can be easily integrated into your WordPress site using this plugin. This plugin will force WordPress to use HTTPS on all the links and pages of your website.
WordPress HTTPS Plugin Installation and Configuration Settings:
- Install the plugin from WordPress Dashboard > Plugins > Add new.
- Go to HTTPS from your WordPress main menu.
- In HTTPS settings, please select the “Yes” option for proxy settings and leave the other options as it is.
- Then hit the “Save Changes” button.
Changing Your WordPress Site URL from HTTP to HTTPS:
It is the final step in which you have to change your WordPress Site Address (URL) to start using HTTPS on your site.
- Go to your WordPress General Settings.
- Now you have to change your Site address from “HTTP://” to “https://” to start using Cloud flare flexible SSL in WordPress. Please do not attempt to change the WordPress Address (URL) and leave it as “HTTP://”.
Endpoints of SSL Certificates:
- If your WordPress site is taking sensitive data from visitors like bank transfer, online purchase, email registration or login, adding SSL certificate is critical.
- Currently, SSL Certificate or HTTPS is not much affecting the SEO of your Site, but maybe later it is possible that it will become one of the major ranking signals of Google.
- SSL will keep your site secure, not only for you but also for your visitors.
Hope you have made the transfer to HTTPS.